January 6, 2010

Fun Nativity

My Grandma P. (otherwise known as Grammy) collects nativities. She has a bunch. Over 75 to be precise.
Every year, for the past 3 years, she has loaded them all up, very carefully, and hauled them to town. She sets them all up at the LDS church where they have a special creche viewing event for the public.
Here she is in front of her display from this year. Hams is also in the picture.
She is very proud of her lifelong collection. It is very impressive.
Aproximately 4 years ago she asked me to make her a special nativity. She gave me a picture of one she had seen and wanted me to reproduce it. I never did do it until this year. (It takes me a while.) Here are some pictures of what I made. I did change the nativity a bunch from what was in the original picture though.
Mary, Joseph, and the baby Jesus in his manger. A donkey is in the background and a green wiseman is on the left.
A shepherd with his staff.
The shepherd, his sheep, and another donkey.
The star above the stable.
The three wisemen.
An up-close shot at the three wisemen.
The whole party.
Another shot of the whole party.
Isn't that cute? Cute maybe, but a bear to put together. Let's just say that I am not a tounge-depresser building engineer. And I burned a few fingertips with the hot glue. I just hope it doesn't fall apart the moment Grammy hauls it to town for the annual creche thingy-ma-bob.

8 comments:

Grandma J said...

I can't believe how talented you are. The nativity is so original and cute. I know your grandma loves it!

Taya said...

How adorable! I LOVE it! Good job!!!

probst said...

It is very special and precious to me. It is much improved over the one I saw several years ago. I will treasure it for years to come. Thank you so much for taking the time in your very busy life to make that nativity for me. You are so very special to me

Amy said...

SO cute! It turned out wonderful! I hope to increase my nativities to 75+ someday! I need to go visit Grammy! :-) I only have MAYBE 20!

Yvonne Dixon said...

Very cute! I never would have thought of such a thing! You are quite talented!

hedrad said...

Wow! That nativity is adorable. You're so creative. I'll bring home another nativity to add to your Grandma's collection. The Africans have the most beautiful nativities.

Fani said...

Nice nativity, awesome idea!

The Cecil Clan said...

You are amazing! I've never seen anything like this - only you could make regular household items look this darling!