February 3, 2012

Music? Nope. Just trash.

Today I heard something that made me sick to my stomach.

Sometimes I like to surf around iTunes and see what cool music is out there. Once in a while I find a gem. Good music with good lyrics and a good melody. There is a lot of really great music. You can find great music in all genres. But, of course, we all know there is also a lot of really bad music.

Today on the iTunes top charts in the singles category coming in at #8 was a song I had never before heard of.  Evidently it came out in October 2011. I clicked on the little "listen to a sample" button.  My mistake.

This is what I heard being sung by Snoop Dogg, Bruno Mars, and Wiz Khalifa to a great little tune with a great little rhythm:

So what we get drink
So what we smoke weed
We're just havin' fun
We don't care who sees
So what we go out
That's how it's supposed to be
Livin' wild and young and free

Nice. Isn't it? This is only the chorus. The whole song is rotten and I will spare you. But I can tell you it is pure rotten stuff.  Just more trash to feed into the minds of young people. By the way, this song is listed as explicit and just so you know, Snoop Dogg is about 40 years old. What's he doing singing/rapping about being young anyway?

What is the world coming to? (You don't have to answer that. It was a rhetorical question.)

Immediately this scripture mastery (2 Nephi 28: 7-9) came to mind:

Yea, and there shall be many which shall say:
Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die;
and it shall be well with us.

And there shall also be many which shall say:
Eat, drink, and be merry; nevertheless, fear God—he
will justify in committing a little sin;
yea, lie a little, take the advantage of one
because of his words, dig a pit for thy neighbor;
there is no harm in this; and do all these things,
for tomorrow we die; and if it so be that we are guilty,
God will beat us with a few stripes,
and at last we shall be saved in the kingdom of God.

Yea, and there shall be many which shall
teach after this manner, false and vain and foolish
doctrines, and shall be puffed up in their hearts,
and shall seek deep to hide their counsels
from the Lord; and their works shall be in the dark.

I love the scriptures. I am so grateful for the direction the Gospel of Jesus Christ gives me. By holding fast to the principles and ordinances of the Gospel I know we can safely navigate our way back to our Heavenly Father. 

For Behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God.
(Alma 34:32)

p.s. I was on iTunes so I could buy John Denver's "The Eagle and the Hawk". I'm trying to learn how to play a bit on the guitar and who better to get me into the mood to practice than John Denver?


good things:
1. google so I can look up lyrics before I buy songs
2. iTunes
3. the iron rod

3 comments:

kate said...

Well said!

Mary said...

I thought that same thing when I heard that song on the radio. Seriously??

Come to my house, I'll teach you guitar. Then we can jam.

Mrs. Misses said...

I LOVE the Eagle and the Hawk!! Remember our John Denver days????? Oh those were the GOOD OLD DAYS. Then there were the Simon and Garfunkel days, the Barbra Streisand days and the Show Tunes Days (among others). I have been cleaning out my parents garage and even just found pictures of when I took that photography class and you're in like 5 of them. Will be sending them soon. Love you. Miss you.